January 30 through April 17, OnTrack WNC’s certified IRS-trained tax preparers will prepare simple tax returns FREE for individuals and families with 2017 household income of less than $54,000. Claim your refund and save those filing fees! You may be eligible for FREE income tax preparation.
You may also be eligible for up to $6318 from the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Four of five eligible workers claim and get their EITC. We want to raise that number to five out of five. You earned it, "now file, claim it and get it." See if you qualify at www.irs.gov/eitc.
Make an appointment now
Tax preparation generally takes about one hour. For an appointment please call our office at 828.255-5166 x3 or 1.800.737.5485.
The FAQ below defines who needs to file a tax return and also describes tax circumstances that are too complex for us to handle as part of our Tax Program VITA site.
Do I need to file a tax return? Will it benefit me to file?
- You may need to file if you are:
- Single, under 65 and your income was at least $10,400
- Single, 65 or older and your income was at least $11,950
- Married and filing jointly and both spouses are under 65, with total income at least $20,800
- Head of Household, you are under 65 with total income above $13,400
- You must also file if:
- You have net earnings from self-employment of at least $400
- You or any of your dependents received advance payments of a Premium Tax Credit through the Marketplace (You should get a record of this on a 1095-A)
If you are between 25 and 64 years old and received any earned income from employment or self-employment you should file because you may be entitled to an earned income tax credit.
You do not need to file if your only income is from Social Security benefits and is less than $25,000 a year ($32,000 if married and filing jointly).
For a more thorough assessment go here.
Are my taxes too complicated for VITA?
We can help most people file their taxes – both federal and state, but there are some circumstances in which we cannot help you. These include but are not limited to:
- You have rental property (even if your tenant just makes the mortgage payments for you).
- You have income from farming.
- Other people worked for you as employees.
- You declared bankruptcy in 2017, or have received a form 1099-C (cancellation of debt) in connection with an earlier bankruptcy.
- You were self-employed (i.e. you operated a business) and any of the following apply:
- Your business had a loss in 2017
- You have more than $25,000 in expenses
- You need to claim the cost of using part of your home for your business
- You need to claim depreciation of business assets
- You need to deduct the cost of health insurance or a self-employment pension plan
There are a few other unusual circumstances which fall outside the scope of what we are allowed to do. If you think your return is likely to involve something unusual or complicated, please call (828) 255-5166 ext.117 to discuss it with a tax volunteer ahead of your appointment. This is not the extension for making an appointment.
To make an appointment, please call 255-5166 extension 127.
Do you have a simple return that you can file on your own?
MyFreeTaxes is a FREE service for taxpayers who are comfortable filling out forms online, have relatively simple returns and do not need to meet one on one.
MyFreeTaxes offers a helpline staffed with Advanced Level IRS certified volunteers from 10A-10P Mon-Sat, plus live chat assistance during those hours, and email assistance.
Non-discrimination Policy - OnTrack Financial Education & Counseling shall not exclude anyone from receiving agency services based on his/her economic status, cultural heritage, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or military status.