For the most up-to-date information about resources to help you and your family through this challenging time, we invite you to register for our e-news list.
Update: 6/25/20 - NC Unemployment Process
Applying for Unemployment Benefits
Contact Information and Getting Started
The fastest and most efficient way to apply for unemployment benefits is to create an account and file online at des.nc.gov. If you don't have access to a computer or need assistance, they can be reached by phone at the following numbers:
- General phone number: 888-737-0259
- Pandemic assistance line: 866-847-7209
- To file an appeal: 919-707-1060
- The office is open 7 days a week, including Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm, Saturday from 8 am to 5 pm, and Sunday from 12 pm to 5 pm.
- Due to the high volume of calls related to COVID-19, you may experience a long wait time.
The NC Division of Employment Security says that people typically receive payment within 14 days of filing their initial claim.
- For more information about applying for unemployment benefits, click here.
Taxes on Unemployment
Unemployment benefits are taxable income, and you may owe a lot in taxes next year if you don’t have taxes taken out of each check now. You can ask to have taxes withheld from your payments when you apply for benefits. You can only request that 10% of each payment be withheld from your unemployment benefits for federal income taxes.