Skip to main content


Help! My Tax Refund Went Way Down This Year!

Help! My Tax Refund Went Way Down This Year!

The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act included a cut in the payroll tax withholding rates, so net paychecks would be bigger. But it turns out that they cut too much for many people and now many of us will owe a lot of money at tax time. 

The W-4 form is a surprisingly helpful tool if you take time to go through all the applicable sections. The W-4 determines the amount of tax withheld from your paycheck and you can fill out a new one to adjust your withholding anytime you like. You can even have extra withheld just in case. To calculate your withholdings, go to the IRS calculator which accounts for year-to-date withholdings. Just give the completed form to your Human Resources person or the person who processes payroll. Click here to download the W4 form.

If you are looking for ways to reduce your taxable income, now is a great time of year to look into Health Saving Accounts, Traditional IRA and 401(k) contributions. For more information search the topic on

  • Anna Booraem
    Anna Booraem
  • Shanae Johnson
    Shanae Johnson
  • Wayne & Jodi Mott
    Wayne & Jodi Mott
  • William Raynor
    William Raynor
  • Lucia Daugherty
    Lucia Daugherty
  • Julie Perley
    Julie Perley
  • Bailey Gartman
    Bailey Gartman
  • Diana Honeycut
    Diana Honeycut
  • Lisa Gaskin
    Lisa Gaskin
  • Carmen Govea
    Carmen Govea
  • Kelly Jackson
    Kelly Jackson
  • Jordan Barlow
    Jordan Barlow
  • Susan Mosley
    Susan Mosley
  • Jessica Turner and Robert Forbes
    Jessica Turner and Robert Forbes
  • Amber Williams
    Amber Williams
  • Emily and Jordan Stanley
    Emily and Jordan Stanley
  • Marie Collins
    Marie Collins
  • Brittany Ferguson
    Brittany Ferguson
  • Latoya Gardner
    Latoya Gardner