"Buying a home was the most tangible accomplishment of my OnTrack WNC journey, however the shift in my own attitude and changes in daily practices, have been the most powerful.”
- Molly Sprengelmeyer, OnTrack WNC Appreciative Participant, and Proud Homeowner
Step 1: Homebuyer Education
If you are considering buying a home in the next year, Homebuyer Education is an invaluable investment that will provide you with a comprehensive foundation for the homebuying process.
During our HUD-certified course you will:
- Learn the process of buying a home from A to Z;
- Get a better idea of where you stand in that process and what you need to do to achieve homeownership;
- If you choose the in-person class, you’ll also hear from local professionals including a realtor, lender, inspector, and closing attorney.
|In-Person at OnTrack WNC||Online Course through eHome America|
|Learn in a group setting, directly from educator and others in class. Ask questions in the moment.||Learn at your own pace. Start and stop the course as needed for your schedule.|
|Hear from local industry professionals. Guest speakers include realtor, lender, inspector and closing attorney.||You will learn about the roles that the realtor, lender, inspector, and closing attorney play but you will not hear from local professionals.|
|Learn about local programs for down payment assistance.||Option to meet with an OnTrack WNC housing counselor after the course to discuss local down payment assistance programs.|
|11 hours of education||Takes an average of 8 hours to complete but it varies widely.|
|Offered monthly in Asheville either in the evening or Saturdays. Advanced registration required.||Available online anytime|
|$50 per household||$100 per household|
Step 2: Receive Your Credit Report
Getting all three credit reports and scores and reviewing the information with an OnTrack WNC counselor will help you understand the mortgage options available to you. If necessary, you and your counselor can create an action plan with steps you can take toward improving your credit. Only $29 (including a judgments and liens report) for recent Homebuyer participants (usually $39).
Step 3: Homebuyer Counseling
After attending Homebuyer Education, you may attend a free one-on-one homebuyer counseling session with one of our certified housing counselors. Working with the counselor you will:
- Learn how much home you can afford;
- Review your personal financial situation to create your homebuying plan;
- Understand how to improve your credit or pay down debt if necessary; and
- Receive comprehensive information about down payment assistance potentially available to you.
Questions? Call 828-255-5166 or click here.
"I am a brand new real estate agent in the Asheville area...literally finished my class 6 weeks ago...and I learned more about the actual homebuying process in the first 15 minutes of this class than in 2 months of real estate school. This is an INVALUABLE program. Everyone should take it. Real estate agents, home buyers, home sellers, lenders, rich, poor. Everyone."
- Matt Lutz, OnTrack WNC Homebuyer Education participant