Who is OnTrack WNC Financial Education & Counseling?
OnTrack WNC helps people achieve their money and housing goals so they can live their lives according to their values. We have been around since 1973 with a commitment to innovation. Our values include a supportive working environment, ongoing growth and improvement, respect for our clients’ wisdom, and meaningful diversity and inclusion. We have 14 employees.
What is the position?
This is a full-time position, based out of Asheville, NC. Physical presence in the office is required for an average of three days per week. You will be provided with technology (laptop, etc.) to facilitate working from home two days per week. However, working from home is not required.
You’ll coordinate OnTrack WNC’s Biltmore employee programs (currently Bridge, Passport to Property and Car Purchase). The Coordinator is responsible for comprehensive program implementation, including employer communications, internal systems development, supporting client progress from enrollment to graduation, and reporting. You’ll also deliver other counseling services to non-Biltmore clients.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking applicants with the cultural understanding, experience, and communication skills to effectively welcome and serve all clients, particularly communities of color. Fluent Spanish speakers will be given special consideration and additional compensation (see below).
You will be trained on all aspects of the job and must have the capacity to learn both the technical aspects of the job (examples: foreclosure prevention and program documentation) as well as the ability to communicate clearly and compassionately. We’re also looking for candidates with attention to detail and organization skills.
Why work at OnTrack WNC?
You will be supported, learn a lot, and grow professionally while working with people who care about their jobs, their coworkers, and serving our community.
The starting pay rate is $43,243/year ($20.79/hour). Fluent Spanish speakers will receive an additional $3,500 ($1.68/hour) per year in compensation.
OnTrack also provides significant employee benefits:
- Medical insurance (OnTrack WNC currently pays 95% of premium; employees pay $24/month)
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan (after one year, OnTrack WNC contribute 5% of your annual pay)
- OnTrack WNC provides 10 paid holidays/year, and you’ll be eligible for 17 days of paid time off (PTO) in the first year. PTO will increase with length of employment.
The Biltmore Coordinator autonomously coordinates all aspects of programs for Biltmore employees, including funder communications, program design and implementation, and reporting.
In this role, you’ll also deliver services as a Financial/Housing Counselor where you’ll relate to a diverse client population, discover and adapt to each client’s unique needs and challenges, and effectively support each client as they move towards greater financial wellbeing. You’ll also be responsible for following agency policies and procedures, managing data collection and reporting, and promoting continuous program enhancement
1. Coordinate and provide comprehensive implementation of all Biltmore Programs (currently estimated
at +/- 22 hours per week):
- Collaborate with Biltmore contacts around marketing, program implementation, and participant eligibility confirmation.
- Design, assess, and update detailed agency processes including program outreach, screening/intake, orientation, and education and counseling. Utilize multiple platforms including Talent LMS, Calendly, and IntakeQ.
- Screen, enroll, orient, and support clients. Schedule and conduct participant financial counseling sessions.
- Create and send out monthly program statements to participants.
- Communicate with participants to encourage program progress, answer questions, resolve issues or errors, while also keeping an eye on overall program capacity, demand, and goals.
- Work with Bookkeeper to process client subsidy and match requests, as well as program graduations and un-enrollments. Resolve any issues with subsidy or match requests, including communicating with landlords, mortgage companies, and closing attorneys.
- Collect and analyze data for program reports, funding applications, and annual program billing.
- Communicate and coordinate with financial, community, and funding partners, including semiannual program reporting.
- Observe trends in programming and client and staff experience and brainstorm adaptations with an eye toward reducing client barriers while maintaining program impact.
2. Provide financial/housing counseling:
- Conduct up to 4 additional appointments per week, including at least one evening per week, up to one Saturday every other month, and other weekends and evenings infrequently, as needed.
- Conduct counseling for budgeting, credit building, debt, student loan, foreclosure prevention, homebuying, and/or other financial and housing counseling needs.
- Obtain and renew required certifications, including HUD (Housing and Urban Development) and NFCC (National Foundation for Credit Counseling). Training will be provided.
- Partner with each client to develop strategies for meeting their financial/housing needs.
- Interact with clients in a responsive, helpful, positive manner during scheduled appointments and through follow-up emails, calls and texts.
- Complete all required documentation and data entry.
3. Participate as an active and engaged member of the staff:
- Attend Program Team meetings and staff meetings, actively participate, and provide thoughtful input.
- Participate in group and independent projects as needed to further team or agency objectives.
- Respect and contribute to OnTrack WNC’s commitment to racial equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Think broadly and creatively about how we can do what we do better!
4. Take ownership of work and communication.
- Learn procedures and incorporate any updates into your work.
- Share and accept ideas and feedback.
- Respectfully engage in open and honest communication with coworkers and supervisor.
- Provide timely and thoughtful responses to emails.
- Work to remain organized, manage job responsibilities efficiently, and ask for help from coworkers or supervisors when needed.
5. Other duties as assigned.
Out of concern for vulnerable populations whom we serve including those who are unable to vaccinate due to health reasons and based on feedback from our staff, OnTrack WNC strongly encourages employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before interacting with clients or coworkers. Once fully vaccinated, we offer our staff a choice between one additional day of PTO or $100.
Equity in our hiring process is important to us.
OnTrack WNC strives to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including, but not limited to, Black people and other people of color, Indigenous and Native peoples, LGBTQ and gender non- conforming people, disabled people, immigrants, and low-income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.
Email us a Cover Letter and Resume. In your cover letter:
- Tell us how you heard about the position.
- Make the connection between your job experience and what we are looking for.
- Tell us about your commitment to communities of color, racial equity, and/or experience within the Black and/or Spanish-speaking community in North Carolina.
- Tell us why you are interested in the job.
Subject line: “Biltmore Coordinator & Financial/Housing Counseling – Your Last Name”.
- No phone or drop-in inquiries please.
Submission: Email your cover letter and resume to Emily Matthews at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Sunday, February 26, 2023 and interviews may be scheduled as applications are received and until the
position is filled.
We look forward to hearing from you!